Monday, March 02, 2015

Review: Isla and the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins

Book Description:

Hardcover, 339 pages
Published August 14th 2014 by Dutton

From the glittering streets of Manhattan to the moonlit rooftops of Paris, falling in love is easy for hopeless dreamer Isla and introspective artist Josh. But as they begin their senior year in France, Isla and Josh are quickly forced to confront the heartbreaking reality that happily-ever-afters aren’t always forever.

Their romantic journey is skillfully intertwined with those of beloved couples Anna and Étienne and Lola and Cricket, whose paths are destined to collide in a sweeping finale certain to please fans old and new.

Reviewer's Copy: ARC

Source: National Book Store and Penguin Teen(Thank you!!)

My Thoughts:

This is actually my first Stephanie Perkins book. I decided to go against the bookish rule: reading books in order; and started reading Stephanie Perkins' last book (to be followed by Lola and Anna). I was consumed. The story itself has a life of its own, going beyond movie-quality presentation. I felt like I was transported into Paris and DC, witnessing the events myself.

Isla was a sweet, thoughtful and stable heroine. She always played safe, keeping her grades up and following rules. But there was also a part of her that dared to break the rules, to live in the moment, the here and the now, and to make the most of it. I loved reading and getting to know Isla like a real friend. She hadn't figured out her future yet: where she will go to college, what she would study and what she would become in the future. Although the novel is mainly a contemporary romance, I enjoyed how the author tackled Isla's journey to finding herself and her place in the world.

Josh was a different story. He was one of the most intriguing characters I've ever encountered. Josh was charming, talented and incredibly smooth with his moves and plans. He had so much confidence and oozing charm, despite keeping it under wraps sometimes. I found nothing to dislike with Josh Wasserstein.

Isla and Josh together made the most perfect love story of all time. It was an individualistic journey, in such a way that focus was given to both characters as individuals who grow, are in search of themselves and are planning out or discovering their future. The sparks shooting of off them and between them were just too strong and persistent. It was a magnetic gravity existing to pull them together. The way that their relationship developed was heartwrenchingly slow and sweet. But when it hit the climax, it sped up into a whirlwind of kisses, discoveries, secrets, breaking the rules and savoring-every-moment goodness.


Isla and the Happily Ever After was a heartfelt, unputdownable and unforgettable contemporary romance. This is the kind of story that would make you want to hug your pillow and cry, smile stupidly at gaze at the sky, and simply, get out of your house and look for the kind of love that Isla and Josh have. I highly recommend this to fans of Just One Day and Just One Year by Gayle Forman. Contemporary romance readers will devour this companion novel.




Rating:


5 Cupids = Eternal book love.
I will never, ever, ever forget this book. I highly recommend this!


6 comments:

  1. Wait that actually works? Not reading books in order? I've never tried it but I will now! Lovely review, really. I haven't read this book yet and I really want to start this series but first I need to dust off the rest of the series I have and then continue on. Your rating system is so cute. You really making me yearn for this book!

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex! Not reading in order only works for companion novels, though. ;) Like this series of companion novels. Thanks for dropping by and for your sweet comments! Hope you try Stephanie Perkins's books soon! I loved all of them. <3

      Delete
  2. Hi!! :D
    I read this books in order and while I still enjoyed Isla and the happily ever after, I felt it different from the other books in the series, like it didn't belong. I liked it, I gave it 3.5 stars I think, but it was not as awesome and sweet and cute as Anna and Lola!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frannie! I completely agree that Isla seemed different. For me I liked Isla and Anna best. ;) I liked Lola too, but not as much as Isla. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. I bet you can't wait to pick up the rest, huh? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished Anna and Lola! <3 I love Stephanie Perkins' writing! :)

      Delete