Saturday, February 28, 2015

Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

Book Description:

Paperback, 336 pages
Published February 5th 2015 by Scholastic Press

Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she’s engaged to the prince, Twylla isn’t exactly a member of the court.

She’s the executioner.

As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she’s taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla’s fatal touch, avoids her company.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he’s able to look past Twylla’s executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. Yet Twylla’s been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen.

However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla’s problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?


Reviewer's Copy: ARC

Source: Dianne + Pinoy Book Tours (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

The Sin Eater's Daughter came out as a surprise to me. I didn't expect to love the book as much I did - but I am glad that I did, though. It has been a while since I read a book so unpredictable and so highly political, as this one.

Twylla, also known as Daunen Embodied, was an intriguing heroine. She was gifted and blessed by the gods, feared by mortals and a part of the court. Her journey from being the sin eater's daughter to the well-dressed betrothed of the Prince, was a roller coaster of emotions and changes. She had a public life and a private life. When facing the court, she was Daunen Embodied, a blessing to the kingdom. She was reserved, quiet and a follower of the rules, but deep inside she was a victim  - she lost her family, unable to keep in touch with them; she lost her free will. The only thing she had was her gift and curse of poison - to survive it and to kill others with it, and her loyal guard.

Lief was Tregellian – a foreigner. Tasked to be Twylla’s new guard, he was clumsy and often tripped over the boundaries of being formal and being too familiar. He was most intriguing. He was friendly, thoughtful and even sweet. He had natural charisma. He took away my doubts and my suspicions, as well as Twylla’s, with his little gestures and kind words. As Twylla and Lief spent more time together, they were drawn and pulled into each other’s life. They fell in love. Salibsury knew how to drag out the growing attraction between the two, to the point that it was almost painful to read. The emotional and sexual attraction was practically palpable and physical - you could cut it with a knife.

The story world of The Sin Eater’s Daughter was quite elaborate, backed up with mythological and religious background. But the elaboration and attention to detail extended only up to the borders of Lormere, beyond this point the geography and the idea of other kingdoms were quite blurry. I commend Salisbury for having Lormere’s air charged with a specific vibe that made The Sin Eater’s Daughter atmospheric for me.

The evil queen traipsed around her court, with elegance and violence. The Court obeyed the queen’s wishes and rarely questioned her. This was a good reflection of the dark side of politics. The people in power get what they want, at the expense of other people, and though the people are against this, they keep quiet, in fear of being punished or killed. Twylla was one of the queen’s favorite pawns. As Daunen Embodied, she rendered the Court cautious and fearful.

The plot was unpredictable, growing into explosions of surprises and shockers that I never saw coming. I loved how I kept on sitting at the edge of my seat, guessing and worrying. In the latter part of the book, Salisbury unleashed a set of twists and turns. I was utterly devastated and amazed at the same time.

The Sin Eater's Daughter kept me up at night with its intrigue, charm and simmering romance. It was quite atmospheric and unpredictable. Though there were still unanswered questions in my mind at the end, I still enjoyed the story. I recommend this to readers of high fantasy. This would also appeal to readers of historical - medieval - and romance.

Rating:

4 Cupids = Strong book love.
I really enjoyed this. I recommend this!


4 comments:

  1. I have this on my shelves and everytime I see a review of it I get more excited at the thought of starting it!
    Unfortunately I have other books I have to get to first, but I will pick this up soon! *-*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAAAAY! I hope you start on this one soon..it's quite good. :) Thank you for dropping Frannie! :)

      Delete
  2. This book has quite a few elements that I think I could like. Unfortunately, I've also been seeing a few not-so glowing reviews. I guess, I should just suck it up and read it for myself, huh?

    Great review, Precious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy! I think this book is more of a love it or hate it book! :) I read a review wherein the blogger commented that the plot is more or less similar to Red Queen. She also spotted other books with the same theme. (I haven't read Red Queen so I can't really say.) :D

      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete