Friday, April 20, 2012

Die For Me Read-a-Long: Discussion Post # 1


As part of the Die For Me Read-a-long, I’m posting my answers for the first Discussion Post.
If you want to join us, you still have time to sign-up here. You would win Die For Me-related prizes.


CHAPTER 1

  • In this chapter we met Kate and Georgia, what's your first impression on them? Kate and Georgia recently lost their parents, if you were in their situation would you be like Georgia who party all the time to cope up with it? or be like Kate and shun the world around you? Just like Kate we all love books, if you were to suggest a book to her what would that be and why? Kate is still mourning over the lost of her parents, what advice can you give Kate to ease her grief?
When I first met Kate, I thought she was the more sensitive of the sisters. She was more prone to succumbing to ‘mourning mode’ than Georgia. For me, Georgia seemed to be the kind of girl who was the life of the party. She was pretty, vibrant and out-going. She also appeared to be the kind of girl who would move forward, push through all the obstacles that life threw at her.

I’m definitely not the partying type of girl. I would be more like Kate. However, being like Kate, staying at home doesn’t necessarily mean that I would be shunning the world. It would just mean that I’m not ready for that kind of interaction. I notice that Kate likes historical novels. I’d probably recommend some of my favorite historical reads: The Merchant’s Daughter by Melanie Dickerson or The Healer’s Apprentice by Melanie Dickerson.

CHAPTER 2

  • In this chapter Kate realizes that she needs a breath of "Parisian Pollution" just like Georgia suggested. If you were in Paris where do you think is the best place to unwind? I really love how Amy seemingly brought Paris with her remarkable description of Paris. Would you go to Paris basing on how she describe it in this book? Kate found her cafe in the likes of Cafe Sainte-Lucies where she can read her book. Do you have a favorite reading spot? if so where? While sulking and reading on her book Kate noticed a guy on the terrace staring at her. She described him as a handsome guy but seemed dangerous. What is your initial reaction to this? What will you do if you're in Kate's situation? Do you think this guys has a major role in the book?
I’m not really sure. I’ve never been there so it’s hard to answer this one. I would prefer a park to a café. Sometimes I get distracted when I hear people chattering while I’m reading. I’d definitely go to Paris based on the description on the book. I’ve always wanted to go there anyway.

I can read anywhere. I don’t really have a reading spot.

My initial reaction was: here comes the love interest. If I were in Kate’s situation, I would look at him for a second and focus on the book. I’m not really interested in meeting guys anymore since I’m already taken. ;) And yes, I think he has a major role in the book.

CHAPTER 3

  • This chapter started with Kate miss her parents, reliving the moments when they were still alive. I really feel the sadness that Kate is experiencing, if you could do/say something to Kate what would that be?Also in this chapter Kate and Georgia went out for a walk. This is when they encountered an unfamiliar event. A woman jumping off a bridge, the guy from the cafe jumped in and saved her. What would you do if you were in this kind of situation? Do you think Kate and Georgia did the right thing? Kate recognizes both guys from the cafe. Who do you think they are? are they the bad guys or the good guys?
I would leave her alone. I think Kate was the kind of girl who would like to be left alone.
If I were in that situation, I would freak out but I wouldn’t do anything risky or attention-catching. I think they’re the good guys.

CHAPTER 4

  • Kate and Georgia couldn't let go easily go what happened last night, they build theories about it. What are your theories of what happened last night? Life goes on for both Kate and Georgia, Kate continues her reading on Cafe Sainte-Lucie. She was reading To Kill A Mocking Bird which brought her to tears. Do you have a book that makes you cry while reading it? Whats is this book and why did it make you cry? She was conscious not to cry on public when she saw the guy that jumped off the bridge. Then suddenly she found herself standing inches away from this guy. I find this scene really cute and real, if you were in from of a cute boy and strikes a conversation what would you do? Kate was still unsure of this mysterious guy but it provides her distractions of her confusion and grief. What distraction proves to be good for you? The ending of this very mysterious and the same time confusing. What do you think happened to Kate's savior?
My theory: it probably has something to do with the title ‘Die for Me.’ And it’s something supernatural, of course.

Here are the only books that made me cry and why they did:

Beautiful Chaos by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl – read this on my birthday. The things that Ethan felt and went through were just too much. The series of events near the ending that led to the sacrifice were a string of tear-inducing scenes.

Sing me to Sleep by Angela Morrison – one of the best YA contemporary I’ve ever read. It’s not your typical happily ever after novel. It was more of a ‘experience the pain, all the bad things and enjoy the giddy, happy feeling of a good life and then suffer with the characters’ kind of book. It was very well-written. I was so attached to the characters.

The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa – Ash and Meghan went their separate ways at the end. Isn’t that enough reason to cry??

The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa – Seeing Ash broken apart, suffering with the guilt of a mortal, suffering because he was away from Meghan, suffering because he found someone special along this journey and things were very complicated, suffering because he knew that he might not come back alive after this journey but he was going to go with it anyway because he promised Meghan he’d find a way to be with her. Getting into his head and knowing what it felt like to be Ash – to be the Winter Prince, the Knight, the guy. He hurt too much.

CHAPTER 5

  • Kate has been shaken from the near death experience that she had. Was there a time that you had your near death experience? What change after that experience? Kate's mother likes to take her to museums. When you were little, does your mom brings you to a special place? If yes, where is this place? and what made it special? Kate went to Picaso Museum. Kate was a bit distracted when she saw Vincent's friend with him. She decided to give Vincent a chance and they start over again. Do you think its right that Kate trusted Vincent easily? Do you think Vincent is hiding something from Kate? What do you think is his intention to Kate?
When I was young, I was hauled off to the province to go swimming. I went there without my parents. I almost drowned. I remember being underwater and just waiting for my body to stop breathing. After that, I was more careful. I didn’t really trust anybody that easily anymore.

It’s okay to trust people. There are just people who come into our lives and we find that we can trust them easily. I don’t think it’s wrong to trust them that fast but I don’t think it’s wrong not to trust them right away, too. It really depends on you, as a person. Yes, I definitely think he’s hiding something. Honestly, I think he likes her. ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment