Monday, August 22, 2011

Review: The Predicteds by Christine Seifert


Book Description via Goodreads:

ARC, 344 pages
September 1, 2011, Sourcebooks Fire

Daphne is the new girl in town and is having trouble fitting in. At least she has Jesse... sort of. He wants to be more than "just friends," but there's something he's not telling her about his past. Something dangerous. When a female student is brutally attacked, police turn to PROFILE, a new program that can predict a student's capacity for drug use, pregnancy, and violent behavior, to solve the case. As the witch hunt ensues, Daphne is forced to question her feelings for Jesse-and what she will do if her first love turns out to be a killer.

Source: Christine Seifert (Thank you!)

My Thoughts:

The Predicteds started with a gun-wielding student terrorizing his fellow students at Quiet High. After the incident, the people of Quiet want to make sure that nothing like that happens again. It was a good thing that the students at the high school were tested for PROFILE. PROFILE was the work of Dr. Melissa Wright, Daphne’s mom.

PROFILE allowed experts to find out if a person was capable of committing violent crimes in the future or if the person had anti-social tendencies and problems. Once the results were announced publicly, the student body of Quiet High was divided into two: the good students and the predicteds. The wall between them had instantly grown thick. It was scary how science could quickly change the perspective of many people in such a short time and how it could drastically change the lives of the predicteds.

I pretty much loved Daphne from the beginning. She was different, brave, smart, not-too-girly, rational and had a kind heart. Her voice was very distinct. I’ve learned to identify phrases as ‘Daphne phrases.’ She had a certain way of narrating, of reasoning of letting me see her story that I took delight in. In the beginning, she was saved by Jesse from the shooter. Her relationship with him was a complicated one, part sweet, part bitter. Jesse was the kind of guy who wasn’t really part of the popular crowd but didn’t fall under the outcast category, too. He was something else entirely. With a handsome face and a hot body that no girl could ignore, coupled with his charisma, he was an ideal dream boy. His gentleness and his concern had allowed him to break Daphne’s defenses. But when she realized that Jesse spent a lot of his time with January, a girl from school, she started to doubt that what they shared would last. Jesse was always on the run to rescue January from whatever trouble she was stuck in. Daphne couldn’t take it anymore.

As Daphne struggled to fit in, she adjusted to the personalities of her new circle of friends, accepted that Jesse made her girly and faced the truth that her mom refused to tell her about PROFILE. Daphne’s relationship with Melissa, her mom, was quite fascinating. Her friend, Dizzy, was absolute fun. Their friendship was tested by many issues about Jesse, PROFILE and the predicteds. The secondary characters also held my attention. They were varied, alive and entertaining. Josh, Jesse’ stepbrother, was really confusing. But I was generally annoyed at him eventhough he tried to be nice. January, the girl that Jesse always saved, was one of the most mysterious characters I’ve ever encountered.

The Predicteds is a joy to read. Told from a very suave manner, it was easy for me to dive into the story. I was addicted with it! The writing was wonderful. With the charm and beauty of Before I Fall, The Predicteds is a unique, witty, unpredicted and gorgeous sci-fi that reads like a contemporary that I’ll never ever forget. I highly recommend this to contemporary readers and science fiction/dystopia readers! Pick this up!

Rating:

 



5 comments:

  1. I love the sound of this one - I'm a huge fan of dystopian novels, so looking forward to it! Glad you enjoyed it and that the main character was likeable - great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this one. I love the cover and am definitely interested in reading it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read a review on this one before, it sounds like one I'd pick up. I love the idea of the PROFILE. I just rewatched GATTACA yesterday - kinda reminds me of what they have going on in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I'm even more excited to read this now! It sounds fantastic - both characters and plot are intriguing. I'm so glad that Daphne is really easy to connect with. Aw and Jesse seems sweet! Brilliant review Precious, I can't wait for this!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this one, thanks =)

    ReplyDelete