Thursday, February 10, 2011

YA in the Big Screen: Legend by Marie Lu

Another upcoming YA dystopian novel to be made into a movie soon! I’ve eyed Legend for a while. You all know, I like dystopian novels. So…I was really excited and happy for Marie Lu when I read this post at her journal!

LOS ANGELES - February 4, 2011 - CBS Films today announced that the company has secured exclusive rights to Marie Lu’s futuristic thriller Legend. Penguin Group has set the first novel in the series for publication in November 2011. Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey (The Twilight Saga, Dear John) will develop and produce.  

In a dark future, North America has split into two warring nations. The story follows Day, a young Robin Hood, and June, the teen prodigy hired to hunt him down; together they uncover an impossible truth about their totalitarian leaders. The adventure that follows will become Legend.

“The character of Day, a roguish teen outlaw on the run, has been in my head since high school. One night, I was watching an old time detective movie on TV when the idea of Day vs. the gifted teen June came to me,” said Lu. “I'm beyond thrilled about CBS Films' support for Legend, and the instant I spoke with Temple Hill I could tell that they really got the characters and the story. It couldn't be in better hands. I can't wait to see what they have in store."

Lu has planned the series as a trilogy and will be involved on the scripting phase as an Executive Producer. Temple Hill exec Isaac Klausner brought Legend to the attention of Godfrey and Bowen. Godfrey said, "Marie's book struck me first as a Dickens story by way of Ray Bradbury. It's both gothic epic romance and vivid science fiction. It will make a stunning movie."


Legend takes place in 2130 A.D., in Los Angeles, Republic of America, which is at war against the other, flooded half of the continent, the so-called Colonies.  

It tells the story of Day, a famous 15-year-old boy criminal struggling to survive undetected in what remains of the United States, and June, the 15-year-old girl prodigy hired to hunt him down. When their paths cross, the truth they uncover together will become legend.

Sounds awesome, I know! And there's also a trailer of Legend here: http://www.marielu.org/movies/teaser1_650x300.swf


5 comments:

  1. You know, it seems like they're going crazy with all the YA movie adaptations recently. Not that I'm complaining, because I'm really excited to see most of them! Looks like this one's going on my to-watch/to-read list as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So excited! These YA books-to-movies deals are all so great. I know there's a large influx of them in the works, but honestly, I welcome it! I can't wait to see my favourite books on the big screen. Legend sounds fantastic, I can't wait to read and watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited! These YA books-to-movies deals are all so great. I know there's a large influx of them in the works, but honestly, I welcome it! I can't wait to see my favourite books on the big screen. Legend sounds fantastic, I can't wait to read and watch it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Natalie I'm not complaining too! I actually like it. :) Better to have YA movies from YA novels for young adults!

    @Golden Eagle It sure is!

    @Brodie It does sound fantastic! And yep, there's a price to pay for having YA books to movies. It's not always exactly the same with the book..but oh well!

    ReplyDelete