Saturday, July 17, 2010

Review: Guardian of the Dead by Karen Healey

Book Description via Goodreads:

In less than a day I had been harassed, enchanted, shouted at, cried on, and clawed. I’d been cold, scared, dirty, exhausted, hungry, and miserable. And up until now, I’d been mildly impressed with my ability to cope.

At her boarding school in New Zealand, Ellie Spencer is like any ordinary teen: she hangs out with her best friend, Kevin; obsesses over her crush on a mysterious boy; and her biggest worry is her paper deadline. Then everything changes: In the foggy woods near the school, something ancient and deadly is waiting.

Karen Healey introduces a savvy and spirited heroine with a strong, fresh voice. Full of deliciously creepy details, this adventure is a deftly crafted story of Māori mythology, romance, betrayal, and war.

Source: Won from Deadline Dames and Karen Healey (Thanks!)

My Thoughts:

I really liked Ellie. Ellie Spencer is a realistic and strong teen with mundane worries in her life. Sarcasm and humor blends deliciously well in this heroine. To encounter a character is a pleasure for me. The brain is above the heart. It was meant to be the one relied upon in decision making. This is exactly what Ellie does. She is logical and practical and not easily blown to any direction with her emotions. After an accident with her crush, Ellie’s eyes start to open and see what the world is really like.

Karen Healey spun a rich tale of Maori mythology that is outstanding and enchanting. The manifestation of mythology in the world through knowledge and the way it changed someone’s perspective and vice versa, seemed fit.

The story is refreshing. Its uniqueness made it easy for me to devour it. Healey has a way with words that I find comfortably entertaining. The plot and the background are so rich and detailed, branching from a seemingly mundane encounter to several paranormal bubbles.

On the downside of things, it took a bit long for the author to reveal what she has to reveal. I was beyond filled with questions and musings by the time I found out about the real deal of things.

Guardian of the Dead is an engrossing tale of a mythology that grips readers with a mystery of a foreign taste and a tale of strength and determination. I am undoubtedly fascinated.

Rating:
 


3 comments:

  1. Nice review! It looks like a really good book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this! I've heard other not-so-great reviews which discouraged me. But now I think I'll check it out. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks great! i have a feeling i'll like ellie's character as well. she sounds like she's got a good head on her shoulders!

    ReplyDelete