Saturday, March 27, 2010

SPOTTED: Caragh O'Brien + Birthmarked

Hi guys! Caragh, the author of Birthmarked, is with me today to answer a few questions about her writing and about her debut novel! You can read my review of Birthmarked.


Photo credit to Tomy O'Brien.
(From Caragh's website)

What inspired you to write this dystopian novel?

I was driving over a bridge in Alabama where the lake water was incredibly low, and it frightened me. The southern states of the U.S. had a terrible drought in the winter of 2008, and as my family drove across the country, it looked like a wasteland to me. I started thinking about what would happen to political power with climate change, and the dystopian setting for Birthmarked and Unlake Superior emerged from my concerns.

What is your purpose in writing Birthmarked?

I wanted it to be just plain fun to read. My version of fun is a little dark, I suppose, but I did my best.

Why did you make Gaia a midwife?

I made Gaia a midwife so she would be powerful in life situations. It turns out she’s powerful in death situations, too.

Will there be a second book?

I’m writing a sequel now.

Does the Dead Forest really exist?

Ha. Gaia thinks so. She’s in trouble if it doesn’t.
_______________________________________________________

How does your mood affect your writing?

More frequently, my writing affects my mood. When my characters are in crisis, I feel it along with them, and it’s awful. I’d like to write more happy scenes, but they don’t make for very good fiction.

Is it important that you are in an ambience that you like when you write? If yes, why?

I only need a bit of quiet to work. I’m writing in a university library carrel with my laptop right now, for instance, and I’m usually on my couch at home. I very quickly disappear into the setting of my book, so I can write anywhere.

What are you working on now?

I’m working on the third draft of Book 2. Gaia’s thirsty right now.

What tips can you give to aspiring writers (like me)?

I could tell you were a writer from your questions, Precious. You must already know how completely satisfying it is to be in your head. I’m not sure you need to know anything else. Seek out what fascinates you and obsess.

What would you like to say to the people who have read Birthmarked or have included your novel in their wishlists and/or to-be-read piles?

I hope people who read Birthmarked enjoy Gaia’s story and care about her.

Let me say thanks, Precious, for inviting me by. This has been fun!

All best,
Caragh

Thank you for your time Caragh!
_______________________________________________________

Caragh's links:

Caragh's Official Website
Caragh's Facebook

_______________________________________________________



Birthmarked will be released on March 30!
That's just a few days from now!

You can pre-order Birthmarked in Barnes & Noble and Amazon!

Want to read Chapter 1 of Birthmarked? Go here!

1 comment: